Wednesday, December 2, 2009

SKNReviews

SKNReviews
sorta, kinda, not really reviews


If I Stay by Gayle Forman
2.5 out of 5 stars
Ages 15+
NOT RECOMMENDED

I’d been waiting months to acquire a copy of this book and now that I finally to got to read it, I am extremely disappointed. All of the political and religious things talked about were completely opposite of my beliefs. But I found myself not wanting to put it down. Everything was so different from what I know, that it was interesting. That was the only reason I kept reading. Good stories have diverse characters, unique personalities, which If I Stay lacked. The pace of the novel was messy and the ending unsatisfying. I hope to see Gayle Forman’s writing talent put to better use in the future.

*Contains: sensuality, profanity, and homosexuality of a minor character


i am neurotic (and so are you) by Lianna Kong
3.5 out of 5 stars
Ages 15+
RECOMMENDED

This book is based on real people’s submissions to iamneurotic.com so you know you aren’t the only one with these neuroses. From lining up the tacks on bulletin boards to eating Cheetos with chopsticks (orange fingers, eww!), over 200 neuroses are explored each with a wonderful photograph and a few short sentences.

This is a nice, quick sit-down read that’s really fun to look through. I didn’t expect the neuroses to be so different from each other. I found it boring at times yet the pictures kept me interested enough to keep reading. The pictures were terrific! The models did an excellent job with posing for them. If you pick up i am neurotic (and so are you), don’t expect a book. Expect a photography portfolio (which can sometimes be even better than a book).

*contains a sexual reference & a picture of partial nudity


My Self (a guide to me)
by Marlene Wallach and Grace Norwich

3 out of 5 stars
AGES 11+

*recommended to check-out at the library*

I adore the format of the book and the fun facts Marlene includes. It’s so bubbly and inviting! Marlene is like the babysitter who understands everything you’re going through. Towards the beginning are the tips on body language and not whining or complaining. It was fun reading about those topics because they aren‘t brought up that much. After awhile, though, the books goes into things like looking in the mirror and telling your reflection three things you love about yourself. This book is meant to give confidence to tween and teen girls but by most of the advice, it has more possibility of giving too much confidence that it becomes arrogance.

I don’t admire the pictures at all, mostly because the way the models posed. There is some good advice in here, though, so pick up a copy and flip through it for awhile.

*Contains nothing inappropriate

2 comments:

  1. I'm sad that you didn't like If I Stay. I have been wanting to read it ever since I first heard about it and now I just don't know. Thanks for the honest reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, I loved If I Stay. Sorry you didn't enjoy it. :(

    ReplyDelete

I always like reading comments! So go ahead. It's easy as one, two, three.