Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Treasure Map of Boys

The Treasure Map of Boys
by E. Lockhart
4 out of 5 stars

Getting smothered with kind words and confusing signals, Ruby Oliver doesn’t know what to think of these boys. One’s her ex-boyfriend, one’s her secret crush, another is her best friend’s brother, and the other is a sweet and gentle soccer player. It should be entertaining to watch as different guys try to catch her attention and own her heart, but for Ruby, it just gives her panic attacks and ex-best friends. I guess that’s what you get for being yourself! Caught in the middle of love triangles and exploding science projects, Ruby has had enough. So her therapist tells her to make a treasure map of the relationships that you would like to have. There starts the other half of Ruby’s journey through Junior year in high school.

The Treasure Map of Boys is a book that won’t get out. of. my. head. It’s … unforgettable! Ruby’s story is one that has happened many times in real life, I’m sure, but is the first to be put down on paper. That’s one of the reasons it’s so unique. Author E. Lockhart’s writing isn’t the most original but it still has it’s charm.

Most of the characters were enjoyable to the highest level and I liked reading how Ruby tried to choose between them: which ones she wants as friends and which ones she wants to be more than friends with. It’s all realistic but at the same time, a little predictable.

I felt bad that Ruby had so many so-called friends that stood by her, but were never actually true friends. I found them selfish and … just plain mean! I didn’t like them at all. But there were a few things that bothered me about Ruby herself. She jumps to unproven conclusions and she never exactly finds out the truth to her thoughts. Other than Ruby being a little feministic, I enjoyed the book enough to recommend it.

Release date: July 2009

Contains:

*inappropriate touching and talk of nudity
*sexual references
*Christians portrayed as ‘annoying’
*brief strong language

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... It sounds kinda good, but I am NOT a chicklit fan, so I dunno... -_-

    ReplyDelete

I always like reading comments! So go ahead. It's easy as one, two, three.