Sunday, June 28, 2009

In My Mailbox

In My Mailbox is where I share with you the books I've gotten in the mail or the library. Maybe you'll find a book you want to read along the way!*

(idea by TheStorySiren)


North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley


It's hard not to notice Terra Cooper.

She's tall, blond, and has an enviable body. But with one turn of her cheek, all people notice is her unmistakably "flawed" face. Terra secretly plans to leave her stifling small town in the Northwest and escape to an East Coast college, but gets pushed off-course by her controlling father. When an unexpected collision puts Terra directly in Jacob's path, the handsome but quirky Goth boy immediately challenges her assumptions about herself and her life, and she is forced in yet another direction. With her carefully laid plans disrupted, will Terra be able to find her true path?

(I just love this cover. I think it's so pretty how the title almost matches the cover of the girl's lips perfectly. And now, while I'm reading her story, I picture this girl as Terra. It's a really good book so far! I really want to cry for her. *received old ARC from my sister.)



The Anatomy of Wings by Karen Foxlee

Ten-year-old Jennifer Day lives in a small mining town full of secrets. Trying to make sense of the sudden death of her teenage sister, Beth, she looks to the adult world around her for answers.

As she recounts the final months of Beth’s life, Jennifer sifts through the lies and the truth, but what she finds are mysteries, miracles, and more questions. Was Beth’s death an accident? Why couldn’t Jennifer—or anyone else—save her?

Through Jennifer’s eyes, we see one girl’s failure to cross the threshold into adulthood as her family slowly falls apart.

(I've been waiting awhile to read this book so you can imagine my excitement when this showed up. *received from RandomBuzz)


Faith, Hope, and Ivy June by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

Ivy June Mosely and Catherine Combs, two girls from different parts of Kentucky, are participating in the first seventh-grade student exchange program between their schools. The girls will stay at each other’s homes, attend school together, and record their experience in their journals. Catherine and her family have a beautiful home with plenty of space. Since Ivy June’s house is crowded, she lives with her grandparents. Her Pappaw works in the coal mines supporting four generations of kinfolk. Ivy June can’t wait until he leaves that mine forever and retires. As the girls get closer, they discover they’re more alike than different, especially when they face the terror of not knowing what’s happening to those they love most.


(This book I got from BookDivas to review. I love this author's previous writing so this book has to be good.)



Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner

The war between humanity and Faerie devastated both sides. Or so 15-year-old Liza has been told. Nothing has been seen or heard from Faerie since, and Liza’s world bears the scars of its encounter with magic. Trees move with sinister intention, and the town Liza calls home is surrounded by a forest that threatens to harm all those who wander into it. Then Liza discovers she has the Faerie ability to see—into the past, into the future—and she has no choice but to flee her town. Liza’s quest will take her into Faerie and back again, and what she finds along the way may be the key to healing both worlds.

(This one wasn't supposed to be sent to be from RandomBuzz but ... it was. I was supposed to get The Book Thief instead of this one, but it never came. Oh, well! This one sounds like a good book, too.)



The Mystery of the Third Lucretia by Susan Runholt

If it hadn't been for Lucas's photographic memory, they might not have remembered the man. It had been almost a year since she and Kari noticed him copying a famous Rembrandt painting in the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. But now in the National Gallery in London, they spot the same guy, copying another Rembrandt. Then, when a never-before-seen Rembrandt painting is discovered in Amsterdam, the girls begin to suspect the truth. Convinced that no one will believe them without hard and fast evidence, the teenage sleuths embark on a madcap adventure to find the forger and bring him to justice.

(I received this book from the publishing company to review. I think it sounds like a nice short read and it's one of the top books on my pile. :)


That concludes what I got in the mail this week. If you've read any of these books, please leave a link of your review in the comments. I'd love to know what you thought of them! In return, I'll be sure to leave a comment. :)



*book summaries taken from the Barnes and Noble website

16 comments:

  1. looks like a lot of good books! a few i want to read! loved north of beautiful! happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great books! I loved North of Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a great book week. Bones of Faerie is a good read. I have heard nothing but great things in regards to North of Beautiful and I hope you enjoy it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. North of Beautiful and Bones of Faerie are two that I have really been wanting. Enjoy your reading! :D

    ~Briana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I really want North of Beautiful! How lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I reviewed North of Beautiful a while ago:

    http://priyaganesan.blogspot.com/2009/02/north-of-beautiful_12.html

    It's completely amazing and I think you will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great books! I can't wait to read Bones of Faerie and North of Beautiful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bones of Faerie has a really pretty, simple cover. These books look great. Hapy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read any of them, but I've heard good things about North of Beautiful and Bones of Faerie. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Anatomy of Wings sounds pretty good. I'll be back for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great books you got this week. I haven't read any of them but Bones of Faerie looks really good. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice books this week. question: what do you write about?

    zcordova@gmail.com

    ~Z

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those all sound great!
    Enjoy north of beautiful, I know I did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all the comments, guys! ZAC, I like writing general fiction, contemporary fiction, if that's what you mean. :) And I love your blog! The set-up of the reviews are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i agree, i like the north of beautiful cover too. mystery of the third lucretia looks interesting. i like the art element.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, love North of Beautiful cover, too. I am really interested in Faith Hope and Ivy June.

    By the way, I don't think I've been here before, nice to meet you! Isn't blogging wonderful? :) I do like your blog music.

    Here is what is in my mailbox!

    I'm posting this comment day late, since I have caught a nasty cold and didn't feel like coming online much yesterday.

    Take care,

    Sassy
    :)

    ReplyDelete

I always like reading comments! So go ahead. It's easy as one, two, three.