Monday, June 1, 2009

In My Mailbox

In My Mailbox is where I share with you the books I've gotten in the mail or the library. Maybe you'll find a book you want to read along the way!*

(idea by TheStorySiren)


The Thirteenth Tale
by Diane Setterfield

Margaret Lea works in her father's antiquarian bookshop where her fascination for the biographies of the long-dead has led her to write them herself. She gets a letter from one of the most famous authors of the day, the mysterious Vida Winter, whose popularity as a writer has been in no way diminished by her reclusiveness. Until now, Vida has toyed with journalists who interview her, creating outlandish life histories for herself - all of them invention. Now she is old and ailing, and at last she wants to tell the truth about her extraordinary life. Her letter to Margaret is a summons.

(This is the first time I've heard of this book, though I think I should have heard of it a lot earlier because it was published in 2007. Oh, well! At least I have it in my hands now.)


Jack with a Twist
by Brenda Janowitz

Planning a wedding can be a trying experience…

A little prewedding anxiety is normal for every bride, and Manhattan attorney Brooke Miller isn't worried. She's got the loving support of the world's greatest guy, so planning her nuptials should be a piece of cake.

But that was yesterday.

Today, Brooke's landed her fi rst big case and has just discovered that the opposing attorney is none other than her fiancé, Jack. But that's okay. These two professionals aren't going to let a little courtroom sparring get their legal briefs in a bunch.… Right? Wrong! Now Jack's pulling every dirty trick in the law books, and Brooke's starting to suspect that maybe he isn't the man she thought he was. Warring with her fi ancé at work and at home, Brooke realizes that she'll have to choose between the case of her life, or actually having a life.

(Just looking at this book's cover makes me think of the commercials of a Lifetime movie called Maneater starring Sarah Chalke. -I never to watch that movie, btw.- But this book looks cute and flipping through the pages just makes me want to read it more.)

Scot on the Rocks
by Brenda Janowitz

When her ex-boyfriend, Trip, gets engaged to Hollywood's latest It Girl, Manhattan attorney Brooke Miller plans to attend the wedding. Who says a modern girl can't stay friends with her ex? Besides, Brooke's got her sexy Scottish fiancé, Douglas, to take as her date. Okay, so maybe he's not exactly her fiancé, but they're living together in his apartment, so she'll be getting the ring any minute, right? Wrong.

After a fight leaves her without a boyfriend (much less a fiancé) just days before the wedding, Brooke faces the ultimate humiliation of attending her ex-boyfriend's nuptials alone. Desperate to find a replacement to fill Douglas's kilt, Brooke concocts an outrageous plan to survive the wedding and win the man of her dreams, all with her dignity ever-so-slightly intact.

(I had to buy this one because it's by the same author of the above ^ one. I hope I'm not going to be disappointed!)


For the Love of Pete
by Julia Harper

Dante Torelli is an undercover FBI agent assigned to protect a mob informant and his family. But when the informant's hiding place is blown, a baby girl is snatched by a ruthless hitman. Now, Dante must save the toddler, uncover the traitor in his department, evade various bad guys, and deal with the toddler's sexy aunt, all before the biggest mob trial in Chicago history, set to begin in just three days.

When Zoe Adler's stepsister went into the witness protection program because of her sleazeball boyfriend, she wasn't supposed to tell anyone. Except the two sisters have always been close, and Zoe has been babysitting her niece, Pete, since her birth. What harm could it be to secretly get Zoe an apartment in the same building where the FBI is keeping the family under protection? So when someone inside the FBI turns and a hitman snatches Pete, Zoe is right there. During the shootout, she jumps into a sexy, uptight FBI agent's car and hangs on as he pursues the hitman. No matter what it takes, Zoe is going to bring her niece back.

(Flipping through this book -after I bought it at a rummage sale-, I found that it has some parts that I don't want to read. So, so far this book is a disappointment.)

Pretties
by Scott Westerfeld

Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun — the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom — is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold.

Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life — because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive.

(All this time, I thought the guy's name was Westerfield! Well, anyway, I have never read any of these books before so I hope that after I read this one, I will want to read the others. I know. I have crazy expectations!)


If you've read any of the books listed, I would appreciate if you left a link to your review in the comments. I'd look to see what you thought of them! In return, I'd be happy to leave a comment on the post. :)



*summaries borrowed from BarnesandNoble's website

5 comments:

  1. For the love of pete has a nie cover. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Thirteenth Tale! Great tribute to the old gothic tales! I enjoyed Westerfeld's Uglies series. Have you read the first book yet, Uglies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Thirteenth Tale sounds really good. The Uglies series is really good. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Uglies series was really really good. Specials got a little extreme though, so heads up. the Uglies was first and I don't think you'd enjoy Pretties as much unless you've read Uglies. Otherwise, Tally is unberable and to shallow to suffer :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I haven't, PolishOutLander (love the name, btw). So thanks for the heads up, Vroen- I mean, iDogRocker. ;) I will check at my library to see if they have it.

    ReplyDelete

I always like reading comments! So go ahead. It's easy as one, two, three.