Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Reverie (from a castle)

I recently discovered a new word for my daily vocabulary 'reverie'. I had to look it up because another book blogger had the word in her username. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that is means daydream! All this time, I never knew there was a different word for (as my mom says) being in La La Land.

I decided that, to stretch my vocabulary, I would share one of the reveries I have had while reading the book currently in my grasp.

This week, I had a reverie while I was in a castle:

I was reading The Princess and The Pea by Hans Christian Anderson from one of my all-time favorite books, a collection of fairy tales. This story is only three pages long and I love looking closely at the pictures. The reverie I had playing in my head was this:


I was the princess.

If anyone has read this story, you can imagine that it was fun to picture: a girl says that she's a princess and (having the trusting nature they did) the royal family let her sleep on a whole bunch of their expensive mattresses. Though I wouldn't have explained that I slept horribly (They let me sleep in a CASTLE!), I still liked the princess.

This story was fun to read and fun to think about. And everyone has to admit ... you've imagined you were royalty once, right?

Has anyone else had a reverie while reading a book this week?

1 comment:

I always like reading comments! So go ahead. It's easy as one, two, three.