Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Highway to Hell (Maggie Quinn: Girl vs. Evil)

Highway to Hell
By Rosemary Clement-Moore
5 out of 5 stars

After casting a demon out of her best friend Maggie Quinn is ready for a break. Stuffing her first-aid kit and safety pack into her jeep, Maggie starts off to South Padre Island with her witch-crafted friend, Lisa. But as you may have guessed, Maggie isn’t a normal college freshman. She’s a psychic and her vibes are going on overload when they drive through a small Texas county, on the way to their destination. They soon find out that something unusual is going on there. Livestock are being found dead with deep gashes on their necks. It’s unnatural, they say. But how can Maggie and Lisa help when there is a handsome cowboy, religious grandma, and mysterious chupacabra getting in the way?

Highway to Hell was a guilty pleasure. The main topic of demons isn’t exactly up my alley. In fact, it’s far away from it. But when I started reading, I found that the characters were all-around likeable. It had a quick-moving storyline and unexpected turns that kept my attention the entire time. This book put other famous works to shame.

Author Rosemary Clement-Moore has a brilliant talent that I have never seen demonstrated by any other writer this way before. I was fascinated at how much the scenes are described though I wished, at times, it would be more straightforward. The cover, sadly, I think may not bring the book justice because it doesn’t appeal to most audiences. But, like many people say, don’t judge a book by its cover, right?

Contains:
*brief strong language
*sensuality
*creepy little demons


5 comments:

  1. Hi! Have a look here: http://heyteenager.blogspot.com/2009/05/peoples-choice-ya-book-blog-awards.html

    By the way, I love Smile Like You Mean It :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at chupacabra. Adding to my wishlist now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this book for a few weeks now (thanks to RandomBuzz), but have had so many books to read in so little time. Of course, now that I've seen this, I can't possibly put off reading it any longer! It looks really great. Nice review, btw.

    vroengirl08

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of scary stuff going on in Texas, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is this a book that you have to read the Maggie Quinn books first? I received this one, and was not sure.


    :) Erica

    ReplyDelete

I always like reading comments! So go ahead. It's easy as one, two, three.