Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Access Denied (and other eighth grade error messages)

Access Denied (and other eighth grade error messages)
By Denise Vega

5 out of 5 stars


Erin Swift starts the eighth grade with more confidence and friends than last year. But there are other things that she needs to worry about now. When will she get her period? What if her former crush, Mark, has a crush on her this time? Trying to move on to bigger and better things, she meets a high school boy and soon they are going out. Leaving her old life of unpopularity, Erin decides to go to a high school party with the new girl, Reede, where she finds out that maybe being a middle school late bloomer is better than being a high school early bloomer. Tempted by short skirts and sneaking out, can Erin keep her old friends and maybe receive forgiveness along the way?

Access Denied was simple to understand and complicated at all the right times (“Who will she choose?” “Will she do the right thing?”). This book is a great coming of age story that takes all the usual ones to the next level. It teaches forgiveness, trust, and how to deal with loss. It even teaches how to have a good time with your friends while still being under control! In the simplest form: Erin’s story is unforgettable. The writing is great, the scenes are great, the characters are great, and the storyline is terrific! The cover is inviting and completely sums up the story without saying a word (except the title :). I read it in two sit-downs and still wanted more! I hope that in the future, there will be a third book of Erin Swift’s life of trying to survive public school.

Contains:

some kissing or 'making out'
the reference 'get a room' used
underage drinking


6 comments:

  1. OMG I am so jealous you have a copy! I loved the first one: it was so cute and so perfectly summed up the average 7th grade experience! Now I'm excited to read this one. Thanks! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It is so weird! The part she got her period, was when I got my first, as I am reading that part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed that part, too. It was somewhat cute, if that's the right word. I like the later conversation with her mom about that so keep reading! It gets better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to pick a book to read as a independant reading project. Since we had to read the first one for summer reading i decided to read the next one. Me and my friends read it at the same time and we like talked to each other while reading it. I think it was a really good book, just strange at points. I go to a high-class private school for all my life so mabey thats why this all seemed pretty far-fetched, but i have many friends who go to public school so it wasnt as wierd.The plot was strange but REALLY intereting. i didnt want to put the book down. I highly recomend this to a girl around erins age :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to comment that I am an adult myself, and I enjoyed the book thoroughly. It made me remember those young feelings. Very good book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. omigosh! I read Click Here and loved it! When I found out there was a sequel, I asked my school librarian to order it right away! I'm still waiting for it to come in! I was sooo excited and your review made me even more so! I am in 7th grade so these are the kind of books that I like to read! Thank you so much for your review!

    ReplyDelete

I always like reading comments! So go ahead. It's easy as one, two, three.