Sunday, March 29, 2009

In My Mailbox

In My Mailbox is where I share with you the books I've gotten in the mail or the library. Maybe you'll find a book you want to read along the way! *

(idea by TheStorySiren)


Absolutely Maybe
by Lisa Yee

Meet Maybelline Mary Katherine Mary Ann Chestnut, named for two Miss Americas and her mother Chessy's favorite brand of mascara. Chessy teaches the students in her charm school her Seven Select Rules for Young Ladies, but she won't tell Maybe who her real father is -- or protect her from her latest scuzzball boyfriend. So Maybe hitches a ride to California with her friends Hollywood and Thammasat Tantipinichwong Schneider (aka Ted) -- and what she finds there is funny, sad, true, and inspiring . . . vintage Lisa Yee.

(Acquired by doing a little trade with my sister. I hope it was worth it!)





30 Days to Finding and Keeping Sassy Sidekicks and BFFs
by Clea Hantman

Where would Jennifer be without Courtney? How about Drew and no Cameron? Life is just more fun with friends. And who doesn’t want a sidekick in case there’s ever a need to fight crime or solve a mystery? Every girl needs at least one wonderful pal, and when you harness the power of friendship, life’s possibilities can be limitless. It might sound like kid’s stuff, but the support of a girlfriend can last a lifetime. Long after the boys have come and gone, a true blue girlfriend will still be by your side.

(Received from RandomBuzzers to review. I would not have picked it up before I got it in the mail and I am really impressed with it so far!)


Life After Genius
by M. Ann Jacoby

Theodore Mead Fegley has always been the smartest person he knows. By age 12, he was in high school, and by 15 he was attending a top-ranking university. And now, at the tender age of 18, he's on the verge of proving the Riemann Hypothesis, a mathematical equation that has mystified academics for almost 150 years. But only days before graduation, Mead suddenly packs his bags and flees home to rural Illinois. What has caused him to flee remains a mystery to all but Mead and a classmate whose quest for success has turned into a dangerous obession.

(This one I also got from a trade with my sister. You are probably thinking 'What books does she not want?' Well, I actually gave her one I've already read and thought is was 'okay' and one she has been really wanting to read. So everything ended out okay!)


Highway to Hell
by Rosemary Clement-Moore
Maggie Quinn was expecting to find plenty of trouble with Lisa over Spring Break. Give a girl a bikini, a beachfront hotel, and an absent boyfriend, and it’s as good as a road map to the dark side. But Maggie doesn’t have to go looking for trouble. Trouble has started looking for her. One dead cow and a punctured gas tank later, she and Lisa are stuck in Dulcina, Texas—a town so small that it has an owner. And lately life in this small town hasn’t been all that peaceful. An eerie predator is stalking the ranchland.

(I also got this one from RandomBuzzers to review. I was a little hesitant picking it up because of the title but I found out ... it's girl vs. evil. So I think it will be alright!)




Kisses and Lies
by Lauren Henderson

After discovering that someone saw what looked like Dan’s emergency EpiPen in A-lister Plum’s designer handbag, Scarlett and her tough American sidekick, Taylor, sneak into a posh London nightclub, where Plum has a private table. Scarlett is stunned to discover a piece of evidence that might implicate another girl in Plum’s exclusive circle, Lucy Raleigh. Which means Scarlett must cast a wider net in order to catch the right suspect.

(This is a sequel to Kiss Me, Kill Me, a book I have not read. I wasn't too particularly interested in this book but I received it from my favorite book reviewing site, RandomBuzzers, to review. They wouldn't let me down with a bad book!)




Bras and Broomsticks
by Sarah Mlynowski

What if all your wishes could come true? Blink your eyes, drink a fizzing pink potion, and poof! Life is perfect. That’s Rachel’s situation. Except she’s not the one who suddenly has magical powers. Her younger sister is. And as Rachel would tell you, spellbooks are wasted on the young!

Yes, yes, of course world peace and cures for horrible diseases are important. But so is dancing without looking like she’s being electrocuted, winning back her best friend, stopping her dad’s wedding, and finding a date for Spring Fling.

(I have been waiting a long time to read this book and I finally get the chance, thanks to Paperbackswap! This book just happened to be swapped by you, TheStorySiren. Small world, isn't it?)

The Willoughbys
by Lois Lowry

Shouldn’t we be orphans?” one of the Willoughby children suggests one day. The four are, after all, part of an old-fashioned kind of family, and their parents–well, their parents are not all that one would hope for. Recalling literary heroes and heroines such as Anne of Green Gables, Pollyanna, and James with his giant peach, the Willoughbys concoct a diabolical plot to turn themselves into worthy and winsome orphans. Little do they know that Mr. and Mrs. Willoughby have already begun to formulate their own thoroughly despicable plan inspired by another favorite bedtime story: the tale of Hansel and Gretel...

(This is a children's book- like third grade children -but I thought I'd give it a shot because this author is one of my favorites. I also received this book from PaperbackSwap.)



That was a big load this week! I am really excited to read all of these and it you've read any of them, feel free to leave a link to your review. I'd love to read them and see what you thought of these books! :)

10 comments:

  1. I think you'll like Bras and Broomsticks. It's a little childish, but it's still really fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bras and Broomsticks is absolutely hilarious, as are the other books in the series. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received Highway to Hell this week too. Life After Genius looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still need to read bras and broomsticks! gah.
    Can't wait for your review of Kisses and Lies- i don't really like chick flicks, but I've heard a lot of good things about it

    and lois lowry!? XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice week! Kisses and Lies sounds great, will have to add it to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh what a nice week. That 30days book..has the cutest cover and it sounds really good. Bra's and Broomsticks...another cute one. What are you going to start with first?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great books!! Lots of books I haven't read! All but one I think! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am reading 30 Days to Finding and Keeping Sassy Sidekicks and BFFs, Ravenous Reader. It's great so far! :)

    Thanks for everyone's comments. May your days be filled with smiles and good books!

    ReplyDelete

I always like reading comments! So go ahead. It's easy as one, two, three.