Sunday, March 1, 2009

In My Mailbox

In My Mailbox is where I share with you the books I've gotten in the mail or the library. Maybe you'll find a book you want to read along the way! *

(idea by TheStorySiren)

TMI
by Sarah Quigley

Friends call Becca the Overshare Queen, but her tendency for TMI never seemed like a problem to her until she blabs about her sweet band-geek boyfriend's sloppy kisses-and gets dumped! Realizing it may be better to resist the temptation to overshare face-to-face, Becca decides to blog anonymously about everything instead. On her blog, Too Much Information, Becca unleashes her alter ego, Bella. Bella tells it like it is . . . though perhaps with a bit more drama. After all, no one's going to read it ... right?

(I wrote about this book on a Waiting On Wednesday post a few weeks ago and I finally got around to contacting the publisher. This book is the next on my pile! :) I also love the author's last name. It's so fun to say: "Quigley!")


The Year the Swallows Came Early
by Kathryn Fitzmaurice

Eleanor "Groovy" Robinson loves cooking and plans to go to culinary school just as soon as she's old enough. But even Groovy's thoughtfully—planned menus won't fix the things that start to go wrong the year she turns eleven—suddenly, her father is in jail, her best friend's long-absent mother reappears, and the swallows that make their annual migration to her hometown arrive surprisingly early. As Groovy begins to expect the unexpected, she learns about the importance of forgiveness, understands the complex stories of the people around her, and realizes that even an earthquake can't get in the way of a family that needs to come together.

(I wanted to read this book and my younger sister did too so when I saw it on an AuthorsNow! giveaway, I had to sign up!)

House of Dark Shadows (Dreamhouse King Series #1)
by Robert Liparulo

When the Kings move from L.A. to a secluded small town, fifteen-year-old Xander is beyond disappointed. He and his friends loved to create amateur films . . . but the tiny town of Pinedale is the last place a movie buff and future filmmaker wants to land.

But he, David, and Toria are captivated by the many rooms in the old Victorian fixer-upper they moved into--as well as the heavy woods surrounding the house.

They soon discover there's something odd about the house. Sounds come from the wrong directions. Prints of giant, bare feet appear in the dust. And when David tries to hide in the linen closet, he winds up in locker 119 at his new school.

Then the really weird stuff kicks in: they find a hidden hallway with portals leading off to far-off places--in long-ago times. Xander is starting to wonder if this kind of travel is a teen's dream come true . . . or his worst nightmare.

(I have to admit, I already read the prolouge ... and I am thrilled that I get to read this book! I have been waiting so long. If I like this one, I am definitely going to read more of the series!)

Sundays at Tiffany's
by James Patterson

As a little girl, Jane has no one. Her mother Vivienne Margaux, the powerful head of a major New York theater company has no time for her. But she does have one friend--Michael--and no one can see him but her. But Michael can't stay with Jane forever, and on her eighth birthday, her imaginary friend must leave her.

When Jane is in her thirties, working for her mother's company, she is just as alone as she was as a child. Her boyfriend hardly knows she's there and is more interested in what Vivienne can do for his career. Her mother practically treats her as a slave in the office, despite the great success of Jane's first play, "Thank Heaven." Then she finds Michael--handsome, and just the same as she remembers him, only now he's not imaginary. For once in her life, Jane is happy--and has someone who loves her back. But not even Michael knows the reason behind why they've really been reunited.

(This sounds like such a sweet book. Thank you, Cheryl from Cheryl's Book Nook for holding the contest!)

*summaries from Barnes and Noble's website

9 comments:

  1. House of Shadows does look great. It is sitting on my nightstand waiting to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love The Year the Swallows Came Early. And I'm looking forward to reading Sundays at Tiffany's soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read House of Shadows! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got TMI last week and it looks great! I love the bright cover, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. House of Dark Shadows is on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TMI is such a cute cover. I need to get it because I keep hearing good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TMI looks good. I have had it in my book pile but have yet to devote my time to it. The House of Dark Shadows looks amazing. What are you going to read first?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ravenous Reader- I am going to read TMI next, right after I finish The Adoration of Jenna Fox which I borrowed from the library. :)

    Thanks for all the comments, you guys!

    ReplyDelete

I always like reading comments! So go ahead. It's easy as one, two, three.