Sunday, February 8, 2009

So ... I finally got to watch it

So I finally got to watch this <- movie, City of Ember. It was ... good. Yes, I have found out that my expectations were a little too high, but that's just how it goes.

As everyone says, "The book is always better than the movie." In this case, that wasn't the whole truth.

From the beginning of the movie, I knew it wasn't going to be the same as the book which put me into a mood. The mood: distracted. The whole time, the book was going through my head and the only thing I could think of were all the things the directors and writers did wrong.

It was nothing like the book.

So I looked at it in a different angle.



Both movie and book were great, really, but just didn't go together.

The only things that were the same were a) the characters b) the setting c) the plot.

So, as you can tell, I have a lot of different feelings towards these subjects.

What I want to know is:

Did anyone else see the movie or read the book?

If not, what other movies were "distracting" because you read the book before you watched it?

*read my review of the fourth book of Ember here

7 comments:

  1. Hey, I also watched City of Ember recently--Saturday, to be exact (did you watch it the same day?). I haven't read the book in so long I pretty much forgot the details, but as I remember the plot was close. I do not, however, remember the giant moles and moths and things in the book.

    Another distracting novel-adapted-to-movie was Eragon which hardly had the same plot, the characters were all changed around, and the lines were laughably cliche/pathetic and annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read The City of Ember, but I haven't watched the movie yet. However, I also found the Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire movie VERY distracting...especially the fact that Beauxbatons and Durmstrang arrived in the middle of the feast on the first day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have read the book but not seen the movie. The thing is, I read it a LONG time ago (before they were all popular) so I don't really remember much. So I am looking forward to the movie, because when I don't remember much of the book it isn't as annoying when they get stuff wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh! I finally did the meme with the questions you sent me, by the way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I wasn't aware this movie had come out yet, did it go straight to DVD? I read the book in like 3rd grade....it was OK, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bookworm- Actually, it was in theaters in October. :)


    EmilyRuth- Converse high heels? :D

    Priya, I read the Harry Potter series after I saw Goblet of Fire so I guess I wasn't too distracted, but I know where you're coming from! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read the book and watched the movie. Some parts were from the book, but a little different. The mayor did have a room stocked full of food and they did have Looper sneeking out some food from the storage rooms, but over all I think they could of done a better job.

    ReplyDelete

I always like reading comments! So go ahead. It's easy as one, two, three.