Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Behind the Pages



... with Melissa Kantor

Have you ever wondered what was happening behind the pages? Some of these questions may not be related to reading or writing but I wanted to know more about the author as a person.

Q: When did you know that you wanted to be a writer?

I kind of always knew I wanted to be a writer (I loved writing, even as a little kid). Then I got interested in other stuff and I became a teacher (I still teach middle and high school English), but I always loved writing. I became a professional writer when a friend of mine (who was an editor at Hyperion) said to me, "Write a YA book!" That book was "Confessions of a Not It Girl," and I've been writing ever since.

Q: What Disney princess would you like to be and why?

Most of the Disney princesses are a little passive and self-effacing for my taste (you'd give up your VOICE?! for a GUY?!). I'd like to read about the Disney princess who has a really cool life and a great job and awesome friends and she decides to marry (maybe a prince, maybe not) because he's funny and a great cook. I guess that story probably isn't going to get written, though, is it?

Q: How has being an author changed your life?

I get to write wonderful stories and to email with fans all over the world. It's the most wonderful way of earning a living (besides teaching) that I can imagine.

Q: What is your favorite soda?

I used to be a total Diet Pepsi girl, but now I order club soda with a splash of cranberry juice and a twist of lime. Try it!

Q: When you’re not writing, what do you enjoy doing with your free time?

I have three kids (!), one of whom is just two months old, so I don't actually have any free time. When I did, I liked talking on the phone and reading and going for runs.

Q: Do you have a favorite book, maybe from your childhood or teenage years?

"It's Okay if You Don't Love Me" by Norma Klein. But it's definitely PG-13. I also loved Deenie, by Judy Blume.

Q: What character from your books do you feel most attached to?

Each has something of me in her. I totally relate to Jan's feeling inferior to her best friend, to Lucy's feeling powerless in the face of her stepmother and to Jennifer's feeling she will never get over Max.

Q: Do you have a blog or a website?

(This) is my website, and in a couple of months, I'll have the first chapter of my forthcoming book "Girlfriend Material" on it.



Melissa Kantor is the author of If I Have a Wicked Stepmother Where’s My Prince? (*see my review here), Confessions of a Not-It Girl, and The Breakup Bible.

6 comments:

  1. Great interview!
    I love the cover of Where's my prince, especially the converses XD
    *goes to read review*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interview--I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read If I Have A Wicked Stepmother....it looks super-cute and the cover is adorable!

    Great interview, Melissa sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the title of this book. Really need to check this out. Especially because I have a kinda wicked stepmother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great interview, with fun questions. Can you offer advice to other high school students on how to get in touch with an author for an interview? I would love if my students were able to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely! :) I've been itching to write another post these last few days.

    ReplyDelete

I always like reading comments! So go ahead. It's easy as one, two, three.