Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Sarah's Key

Sarah’s Key
By Tatiana De Rosnay
5 out of 5 stars

On July 16th 1942, Sarah’s life changed forever. French policemen were going door-to-door through Paris arresting Jewish families to bring to the Vel’ d’ Hiv and then taken to camps where their lives would be put to an end. Frightened, ten-year-old Sarah locks her little brother in their secret hiding place, while she holds the key and thinks that she will come back that night. What she doesn’t know is that she will be gone for months…
60 years later, Julia, an American journalist, is assigned to research and then write an article about the Vel d’ Hiv. Along the way, she finds a trail of family secrets that might indeed connect her to Sarah.

Sarah’s Key is one the most touching stories that I’ve read. While emotional and heart-breaking, it was adventurous and made me read on. Sarah’s story was so touching, I almost cried for her. It was difficult to keep all the names and places straight in my mind, but that is information I couldn’t miss out on. Julia’s life was weaved perfectly into the story of Sarah and her family. All of my questions were answered and my crave for knowledge fulfilled. One sentence I had stuck in my head the whole time I was reading: Remember. Never forget.

*book copy provided by St.Martin's Reading Group Gold

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this yet, but it looks like a great book! I'll be sure to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

I always like reading comments! So go ahead. It's easy as one, two, three.